Teaching and learning resources at Western Washington University
- Classrooms & Labs
- Center for Service Learning - facilitates quality educational experiences through community-based service-learning
- Dialogue Series - a series of discussion papers dealing with topics that are central to the educational mission of the University
- Equal Opportunity - resource to faculty, staff and students on a wide variety of equal opportunity, affirmative action and diversity related issues
- First Year Programs - Western Washington University has created special first year academic programs designed to facilitate the transition of new students to college. There are two options available at WWU:
- FIGs: First-year Interest Groups - This program is designed to improve the learning experience of first-year students. Instructors involved in the program receive pedagogical and technological support for course development. For additional information, see Ann Carlson's 2001 thesis, "Did I Learn Anything?" The Use of Self-Assessment to Evaluate Authentic Learning Competencies of WWU Freshman Interest Group Seminar Students (PDF Format; requires Adobe Acrobat Reader). The Appendices (PDF) of her thesis are also available in a separate file.
- FYE courses: First Year Experience Courses - are small, stand-alone courses offered by departments for academic credit (as either a GUR or an elective) for freshmen only.
- Human Resources Training and Development - provides comprehensive technical training to WWU faculty and staff. Class schedules, objectives and registration information are available on their website.
- Teaching, Training, and Learning at ATUS - Enhancing and extending your options with online teaching and learning
- Mathematics Center - provides free tutoring for Western students in courses such as the calculus sequence, linear algebra, statistics, and differential equations. The Mathematics Center is located on the second floor of Bond Hall 211A & 234.
- Office of Survey Research, conducts surveys, collects and analyzes data, and writes reports related to student behavior, student performance, and University performance
- Research & Sponsored Programs
- Testing Center - coordinates the administration of standardized tests at Western
- Student Evaluations of Teaching provide faculty members with student feedback about their courses, and often are used to provide evidence of the quality of teaching in personnel actions such as tenure and promotion.
- Test Scoring Services provides machine scoring of standard "bubble" answer sheets, provides instructors with detailed reports on student scores, keeps a quarterly cumulative file of student numbers, names, and scores by class, and generates a number of useful statistical reports.
- Tutoring Center - a free resource for Western students; tutoring is available for many GUR courses as well as for a variety of study skills topics.
- Western Libraries - Faculty Services
- Writing Center - provides academic support to writers, especially students, of all disciplines and abilities