back to Teaching Tips Overview
Rubric Overview and Creation | Examples
Rubric Overview and Creation
- Bresciani, M., Zelna, C.,
& Anderson, J., Assessing
Student Learning and
Development: A Handbook
for Practitioners, NASPA-Student
Affairs Administrators in Higher
- Brookhart, S., How to Create
and Use Rubrics for Formative
Assessment and Grading,
Association for Supervision &
Curriculum Development, 2013.
- Goggins Selke, M., Rubric
Assessment Goes to College:
Evaluation of Student Work,
R&L Education, 2013.
- Stevens, D. & Levi, A.,
to Rubrics: An
Assessment Tool to Save
Time, Convey Effective Feedback,
Promote Student Learning,
Stylus Publishing, LLC, 2005.
- Creating and Using Rubrics (University of Hawaii) - what, why, how, examples, calibration, tips.
Developing Rubrics (play video on webpage) 16 minute overview
- How to Create Rubrics (University of Connecticut) - detailed information with several examples.
- Instructions: Developing a Scoring Criteria (Gallaudet University) - thorough presentation of rubric creation and development.
- Rubrics (The Teaching, Learning, and Technology Group), includes types and uses of rubrics, steps for creating rubrics, samples, and references.
- Rubrics: Useful Assessment Tools (University of Waterloo) - explains at the beginning why you might want to use a rubric.
- What is a rubric? (Plattsburgh Univ. of New York) - basic, clear, constructive overview.
- Comprehensive lists of rubrics:
- Papers, projects, presentations, class participation:
- Discussion board:
- Presentation, proposal, teamwork
- Critical thinking:
Mentioned relevant books may be available through the CIIA's Lending Library or Wilson Library.