Civic Engagement & Service Learning
Strategies for incorporating both theory and community-based civic engagement into courses.
The California State University Chancellor's Office defines civic engagement as "mutually beneficial exchage of knowledge and resources in a context of partnership and reciprocity."
- Battostoni, Richard M., Civic Engagement Across the Curricullum: A Resource Book for Service-Learning Faculty in All Disciplines, Campus Compact, 2002.
- Jacoby, Barbara, Civic Engagement In Higher Education: Concepts and Practices, Jossey-Bass, 2009.
- Berger Kaye, Cathryn, M.A., The Complete Guide to Service Learning: Proven, Practical Ways to Engage Students in Civic Responsibility, Academic Curriculum, and Social Action, Free Spirit Publishing, 2010.
- O'Grady, Carolyn R., Integrating Service Learning and Multicultural Education in Colleges and Universities, Routledge, 2000.
Resources at WWU
- Community and Service Learning - Teaching Tips, CIIA, Western Washington University
- Center for Service-Learning - Western Washington University
- Innovative Teaching Showcase
- Interviews @ WWU:
Syllabi and Curricular Examples
- Campus Compact - Searchable database of syllabi by discipline with examples of lesson plans and syllabi that integrate community-based learning
- Teaching the Levees: An Interdisciplinary Approach to Community Problem Solving - Teaching Tolerance, Columbia University Teacher's College. Instructional resource supporting democratic dialogue and civic engagement about the Hurricane Katrina disaster. Provides opportunities for interdisciplinary instruction for community problem solving.
- The SENCER Model Series - Science Eduation for New Civic Engagements and Responsibilities. This series provides curricular approaches to improving science learning and supporting student engagement with complex issues.
- 101 Ideas for Combining Service and Learning - Ideas for integrating service learning listed by discipline.
- Social Justice Math - Resource for educators interested in integrating issues of social and economic justice into math classes and curriculum.
- Activism and Service-Learning: Reframing Volunteerism As Acts of Dissent - Donna M. Bickford and Nedra Reynolds, Pedagogy: Critical Approaches to Teaching Literature, Language, Composition, and Culture, Vol. 2, No. 2, 2002.
- Core Competencies in Civic Engagement - Leila Brammer et al., The Center for Engaged Democracy Core Competencies Committee.
- A Crucible Moment: College Learning and Democracy's Future - The National Task Force on Civic Learning and Democratic Engagement, 2012.
- Designing Community-based Courses - UC Berkeley. A guide for instructors to develop community partnerships and create engaged public scholarship courses.
- Educating for Citizenship - Caryn McTighe Musil, Association of American Colleges and Universities, Peer Review 4, Spring 2003.
- Educating Students for Personal and Social Responsibility - Caryn McTighe Musil, The Civic Learning Spiral. Encourages colleges and universities to be more explicit, purposeful, and consistant in creating environments that enhance student competencies in personal and social responsibility.
- Maximizing Civic Learning and Social Responsibility - Arthur Chickering, New England Resource Center for Higher Education.
- New and Alternative Assessments, Digital Bandages, and Civics: An Overview of Emerging Themes and Promising Directions - Felicia M. Sullivan, Center for Information and Research on Civic Learning and Engagement, Working paper #77, March 2013.
- New Perspectives on Civic Engagement and Psychosocial Well-Being - Barry Checkoway, Liberal Education, Vol. 97, No. 2.
- Preaching to the Apathetic and Uninterested: Teaching Civic Engagement to Freshman and Non-Majors - Angelique Davis and Brian Mello, Journal for Civic Commitment, Vol. 18, March 2012.
- Preparing Professionals as Moral Agents - William Sullivan, Carnegie Perspectives.
- Teaching Civic Engagement - Jed Metzger, Gateways: International Journal of Community Research and Engagement.
See also the curricular examples from the Innovative Teaching Showcase, Center for Instructional Innovation, WWU:
- 2012 Showcase (theme: Teaching Civic Engagement)
- 2002 Showcase (theme: Academic Service Learning)